GoDaddy.com offers some of the best deals when it comes to domain purchases. That’s why many webmasters choose to buy domains from Godaddy though they are hosting their websites in other hosting providers. Having said that, I will show you how to add domains purchased from Godaddy to your hosting account, particularly those that uses cPanel.
An addon domain allows visitors to reach a subdomain of your site by typing the addon domain’s URL into a browser. This means that you can host additional domains from your account, if allowed by your hosting provider. Addon Domains Subdomains are relative to your account’s home directory.
This is just what we will do. To aid us in this tutorial let’s assume I purchased my domain from Godaddy and I wanted to host this website in JustHost.
- Login to your GoDaddy account and go to My Account > My Products > Domain Manager.
- Click the domain that you want to configure. The domain details will then be displayed.
- Find the Nameservers and under it, click Set Nameservers.
- A form will appear as shown in the image below:This is where you assign the nameservers of your hosting account so that your domain points to it. Select I have specific nameservers for my domains and enter all the nameservers of your other hosting account. In this example the nameservers of JustHost are specified. You can get these by consulting your hosting company’s help articles and support docs. You can probably find them easily through Google as well. Click OK to confirm.
- Login to your other hosting account’s cPanel. Click Addon Domains under the Domains tab as shown below:
- Fill the form as shown in the image below: After adding the domain, a directory will be created in your public_html folder like in the example above (A directory named mydomain.com will be created in this example.) which will become your domain’s root folder.
That’s all there is to it, however it takes a few minutes or hours for your domain to be able to point to your nameservers. You can test this by uploading a simple index.html file to your added domain’s root folder, maybe with Hello World written in it, and see if it displays.
NOTE: This procedure do not differ with domain vendors other than GoDaddy. The important thing here is you specify the nameservers of your hosting account to your domain and create an Addon domain back to your hosting account.